Wednesday, June 6, 2007

How to develop best practices for online courses

Hi everyone,

Here is a list of my best practices that I have found useful for me as an online educator. This list should provide great information for educators and administrators who are new to distance education and want to learn best practices from the experts:
  1. 10 Tips for Online Course Development – Priya Williams
    http://www.stylusinc.com/online_course/tips.htm

  2. Ideas for Distance Learning – Dr. Robert Bramucci
    http://fdc.fullerton.edu/learning/STG2001_IDEAS.htm

  3. MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching)
    http://www.merlot.org/home/Sites.po

  4. Who Owns Online Courses and Course Materials? Intellectual Property Policies for a New Learning Environment. – Carol A. Twigg
    http://www.center.rpi.edu/PewSym/mono2.html

  5. Online Pedagogy: Theories and Best Practices – Part of the Tennessee Board of Regents website that coordinates most distance education in the state of Tennessee.
    http://www.tn.regentsdegrees.org/faculty/pedagogy.htm

  6. Effective Practices for Faculty Satisfaction from the famous Sloan Consortium:
    http://www.sloan-c.org/effective/SortByFacultySat.asp

  7. Effective Practices for Student Satisfaction again from the Sloan Consortium:
    http://www.sloan-c.org/effective/SortByStudentSat.asp

  8. Effective Practices by Institution, again from the great Sloan Consortium:
    http://www.sloan-c-wiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Effective_Practices_by_College
Please review these sites and let me know what you think about them. Also, I am sure you have some much better resources than the above. Please share with us. Thanks

Lo-An

5 comments:

Linda Collins said...

Hi, Lo-An and all,

I have a related question. Once an educational body has reflected on all the best practices and made some recommendations, how do you get the faculty and administration engaged and all on one page with these guidelines?

Linda

Chris H said...

Hi

I found these articles very informative. I wish I would have known about them last week. What type of search did you do and where to get these?

I am very interested in the response to Linda's comments.

Chris

Lo-An Tabar-Gaul, Ph.D. said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I am glad that you found the resources helpful. Which specific article(s) are you referring to? I got most of these from my previous courses using various searching methods inside NCU and online.

Hope this helps.

Lo-An

Lo-An Tabar-Gaul, Ph.D. said...

Hi Linda,

That is a good question. There are many factors involved in implementing these policies. One of them would be via distance learning faculty dialogue day or workshop, with lunch :-). We did that in the past and got good response. Another way would be testimonies from distance faculty on the success of their usage of best practices.

Lo-An

Deb said...

Hi Lo-An
I agree with Chris. The articles are very helpful, specifically Online Pedagogy (Resource 7). I am sure Sloan's compilation of best practice sites will be a great resource as well (Resource 10). Thanks for sharing!
Deb